Saturday, February 1, 2020. In what was described as “the first of many meetings with New Orleans East stakeholders”, representatives of the New Orleans Business Alliance led a packed room of New Orleans East residents in discussions and sharing of data and ideas related to how to bring change to New Orleans East, with the intent to develop a strategy by the end of the year.
Attendees listed the usual concerns, such as the need to re-brand the East, reduce crime and the perception of crime, share positive messages and attract businesses.
Key notes from the meeting:
- Research showed that $279,712,949 leaves New Orleans East annually to be spent in other areas.
- The New Orleans Regional Park is being reactivated, and appointments for the 12-member board will be made by the New Orleans Chamber of Commerce, the state representatives for the district (three members total), the state senators for the district (two members total), the councilperson for the district, the mayor (three members), the secretary of the Department of Economic Development, the board of commissioners of the Port of New Orleans and the East New Orleans Neighborhood Advisory Commission (ENONAC). Other positions include an Executive Director, administrative support and maintenance support.
- Applications for the Economic Development Ambassador Program will launch on February 17, 2020.
- A New Orleans East Impact Community Dinner will be held on June 12, 2020.
- A New Orleans East Impact Community Forum will be held on June 13, 2020.